Thursday, May 17, 2012

Derby

We started the month of May as we always do cheering on horses for the Kentucky Derby. This is the first year we haven't been in Louisville for the best two minutes in sports since we have been married. So we decided to have a big Derby party to celebrate. I love throwing parties and may have gone a bit over board but it's all about the details right?
I ordered the official Derby glasses to serve mint juleps in and then for everyone to take home as a party favor. The hardest thing about throwing the party was finding things that they don't sell in NYC, like derby pie (which I ordered) and benitictine spread (I made it from scratch.) I tried to be authentic with the menu and had:
Lil Smokies
Meatballs w/Henry Bain Sauce
Benedictine Sandwiches
Mini Hot Browns
Veggies, cheese, fruit
Derby Pie
Bourbon Balls
Cookies in the shapes of horseshoes and fleur de lis
Cupcakes that looked like roses 
Sweet Tea
Mint juleps
Lilly’s
It was a lot of work but I had so much fun.













Our friends wanted to bring something that would fit into the theme of the party and if anyone has ever been to the infield they know that a vodka infused watermelon was perfect!







I ordered copies of “My Old Kentucky Home” and we all 
joined in and sang before the race.



 Horses from the Pool


2 comments:

The Dursts said...

The perfect Derby party!! Wish we could have been there! Looks as fun as Derby! All of your special touches were perfect!

The Dursts said...

The perfect Derby party!! Wish we could have been there! Looks as fun as Derby! All of your special touches were perfect!