Wednesday, May 30, 2012

European Vacation


London
It was our first trip to London (except when Brian was an infant) and our first impressions were gloomy because the weather was so grey and cold. We did have one or two peaks of the sun for an hour or so each day and at least it never rained. Brian really enjoyed the variety of beers offered at all the pubs and he tried a few cask beers, which come from a cask rather than a traditional keg, are served at room temperature, and are not carbonated. I had my fill of fish and chips with mushy peas and one of my favorite things was going to high tea at Harrods one afternoon. Seeing London in three days proved to be a difficult and exhausting task but we did it! I'm going to cover each day or theme in a new post. I'm glad we made it to Paris without the London Bridge falling down! 

Day 1
Saturday was a half travel day since we arrived in the morning and then checked into our hotel after struggling a bit to find it with out our handy iPhones, but more on this later. We decide to have lunch at the Ye Old Cheshire Cheese (yes that was the actual name of the restaurant) which was a 1667 tavern who once served pub grub to Dickens, Samuel Johnson, Yeats, etc... Brian said it was "A dungeon of an establishment, the perfect starting point for a pub crawl, and it has cheese in the name so I knew I would like it before even entering." Despite trying to sleep the entire way on the plane we were still pooped by mid-afternoon and decided to take a cat nap followed by an espresso at the Tate Modern Museum. Although, we did still manage to see a handful of weird art. After a trip around the London Eye and dinner at a pub near our hotel we called it a night.
Damn iPhone
 Lets Look at a Map!
 I'm sad I just want to get there already!
Maybe this phone will be more helpful!
It's hard to tell from this picture, because it was so dark, how awesome this pub was.
On the way to the Tate we walked over the Millennium Bridge and the dome in the background is St. Paul, the church where Princess Diana and Prince Charles wed.
NAP @ the Tate Modern!
Weird Art...





The London Eye: It takes 30 minutes for one revolution.


The View of Big Ben from the top



1 comment:

The Dursts said...

Can't wait to see more!! This will be the closest tour of Europe I get for a long time! Glad you had a great time!