Monday, June 29, 2009

Crafts & Cooking

These are two things that I think I do best. I love to do any type of crafts and I could probably create some sort of project for every holiday or occasion. Since we have moved to New York I haven't been crafting as much because of the limited work space, all my craft supplies are under the bed and there isn't a Michael's close by.  Since we now have a much larger apartment I have more room to craft. I started back up on some of my scrap-booking and this weekend I took on a furniture project. I have been looking for an old desk to revamp for our computer and all of our office junk. We have a thrift store down the street and I have stopped in a couple of times looking for a desk. Well, on Saturday I found exactly what I was looking for and it was a great price. After we paid for it we had 48 hours to pick it up. Brian was like how are we going to get this home? I said we can just carry it, we only live about 10 blocks away. I only made it 1/2 a block and needed to rest. Brian was like are you kidding me, you really need a break, we will never make it home. So he decided to try and fit it in a cab. He hailed an SVU cab but it wouldn't fit so Brian was on a mission for a mini-van cab. Finely after trying to wheel it down the street on a flat dolly and it falling off 3 times in a 20 foot distance Brian hailed a mini-van. Of course the cab did not want to put the desk in his cab but Brian talked him into it.

After the drama of getting it home my evening project was to transform it from a dingy musty desk with an ugly black & blue crackle finish to our cute little shabby chic desk while Brian watched soccer. I primed it with this great primer that can go on any surface even if it's glossy without having to sand it down first. Then I painted and scratched it up and decoupaged a pretty piece of decorative paper on top. I just wish I could do this for my job everyday, minus the transporting of the desk. 

Here I am hard at work
The finished product, I should have taken a before shot but I didn't think about it


As for cooking, this past week I have been making a lot of home cooked meals including this apple pie and I also made a homemade pizza that turned out awesome. Making pizzas are so much better than frozen ones and it's fun too. 

1 comment:

The Dursts said...

I'm impressed! The desk is super cute and that pie looks sooo good!