Monday, July 16, 2012

Our Last Day


Last Day (This post has a lot of pictures!!)
Our last day in Paris was probably my favorite. We spent the day at Versailles. Versailles is considered the most extravagant castle in Europe and forever associated with the Sun King, Louis XIV, and the doomed Marie Antoinette. It is the most decadent, luxurious, beautiful place I have ever seen.  We chose to go on our last day because this was the only day we were there that the fountains in the gardens would be on.  It took 40 years to build the palace.  We started the day touring the main palace, the Chateau de Versailles.  This highlight of the chateau is the famous hall of mirrors where the Treaty of Versailles was signed here on June 28, 1919 ending World War I.  Next we ventured out into the Gardens of Versailles. 

The gardens cover 247 acres and filled with flowers, shrubbery, lakes, canals and 1400 fountains.  It is truly an amazing site and we were lucky enough to be there at a time when the fountains were turned on. 
We walked through the gardens grabbing a quick bite to eat on our way to The Trianons and The Hamlet.  The Trianons are smaller palaces that the royalty built to escape the pressures of the Chateau. 
The Hamlet was built for Marie-Antoinette so that she could experience the simplicity of peasant life.  She would come here dressed as a shepherdess tending her perfumed sheep and manicured garden.  We ended the day by walking back through the gardens and catching the train back to Paris.
We covered so much ground and walked around the massive grounds on the hottest day of the trip and I passes out on the train so Brian took this lovely picture of me.
When we got back we were so hungry we decided to just get an entire baguette and eat the whole thing. 
After recuperating from our long day we had an awesome dinner at a famous restaurant that only serves steak frites. They just ask you how you would like it cooked. It melted in our mouths! For desert we headed over to this delicious gelato shop that scoops the gelato in the shape of a rose on the cone. 
We ended the last night of our wonderful trip watching the sunset on the Seine.

2 comments:

The Fowlers said...

I have LOVED seeing all of your pictures from your trip. It looks like you had an amazing time. I want to go there (and eat all of that food!)

The Dursts said...

How beautiful!! Looks like so much fun! I loved all the pictures too! And I'm really jealous about all of the chocolate!